Button Brainz

It's a weird title but a simple concept. Button Brainz is a game that I designed for a Neurological Aspects class. We were given an object, and told that we must design a game geared towards our client to help them achieve their goals. The result was an OT collaborative project that allowed me to express creativity through very simple means.

 


In designing Button Brainz, my biggest take-away was not to let the creativity of the design outshine the needs of the client. The first design that I thought of was to have Barbara sew the buttons on to a piece of fabric in the order of the card. However, after further reflection, I found that this method would not be best due to the amount of time it would take her to sew the buttons. Although it would have been client centered in her interests, it would not have been client centered in her functional ability.  In fact, I was able to realize that using the buttons in general is an effective way to engage Barbara's sewing interest. Prior to this project, I was focusing primarily on how creative and extravagant of a product I could make. In this case, the simplistic means turned out to be the most successful. I believe that this assignment has made me more resourceful. It has also bought me to realize that client centeredness is more than addressing the interest of the client, it encompasses the client's needs, motivations, and ability to complete a task.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diving into Motivation

What is the OTPF